Thursday 1 September 2016

Dear Eeyore

Dear Eeyore,

I'm sorry that it's taken me such a long time to write to you. Everything has been very hectic here and I am going through some big changes in life that really required a lot of attention. I really hope you don't think I've neglected you! I know that, when Christopher Robin went to school, and whenever Pooh tells you about his day, you do sometimes feel that you are left behind, or left out of events, and for that I am really sorry it's taken me so long to write.

You might not know this, but you were my mum's favourite animal in the 100 Acre Wood. At least, I am certain I remember her telling me that, and at every birthday or Christmas there would undoubtedly be an Eeyore related gift or item around; that's something I bet you like knowing, eh?

Do you ever think that you personify (or would the correct word here be 'donkify'?) the 'British Condition'? And by that I mean a perhaps grey, somewhat pessimistic outlook on life - not that this is meant to be insulting by any stretch! Ah, perhaps it is a bit - though I think that even though you will act mildly outraged upon reading this, you aren't too bothered overall. All the qualities that I identify in you that perhaps reflect the condition, if in fact there even still is one (you are a donkey slightly out of time now I think), are incredibly endearing of your character. For these reasons, I think that not only my mum, but so very many people love you and consider you one of the top animals in the 100 Acre Wood. So it must be a good thing!

That's something I've always thought at least. So much so that, I don't think you know this, while I was studying abroad in the United States during university, I took part in a cultural studies class. In the class, we were partnered with students from other countries in the world, and we shared some well-known literature from our cultures. I chose you and the other animals in the 100 Acre Wood (classic, before Disney) and you in particular was someone I took joy in teaching the other students about.

I hope that this letter finds you well Eeyore, and I will try not to neglect you so in the future. 

Love from
Jenny x



Winnie-The-Pooh, A.A. Milne (1926)

No comments:

Post a Comment